Friday, April 15, 2011

Don't blame your child's poor eating habits on your child. He didn't pack that lunch, you did!


My family eats healthfully because I am the one who does the shopping and cooking. Left to their own devices, they would eat nothing but junk. My boys, ages 5 & 6 have been introduced to chemicals masquerading as foods in many different places. While at an out of town relative’s home, she brought out some type of toaster pastry. My boys looked at it and asked, “what is it?” I must admit I was a little proud that they didn’t recognize it. (Hmm, maybe they don’t watch too much TV!) I’m glad they didn’t know what it was. I would never buy it. There is absolutely nothing beneficial in it, even if they threw some vitamin c in the fruit filling. It’s not actually food, although it is edible. She started talking about how she wishes her family would eat better, but that this is what they like. I choose to believe that what I buy is what they will eat. If I don’t buy it, they may have it elsewhere and I won’t stress about it too much. However, at this point in time, most of their meals are at home, so I will do my best to have their food be truly good for them. It’s one of those mom responsibilities that I take very seriously. At a “bring your own lunch” church play group when my older son was 3, I received an earful from a mom who apparently had some guilt about what she was feeding her child. After commenting on what I and my son were eating, I then had to hear about how her 2 ½ year old wouldn’t eat anything except for chips, goldfish, and fruit snacks (which was also what she was eating). First of all, I wasn’t judging, I was just eating my lunch. Secondly, you choose what you feed your child. I’m sorry if our lunch causes you to feel guilty and self righteous.

S-)

No comments:

Post a Comment