Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Weird Word Wednesday: Pandiculate

 





Today's weird word is PANDICULATION. We all do it. I have even seen cats and dogs do it. What is it? Think about how you feel the first thing in the morning. You don't want to get up but you some how get yourself out of bed. As your feet hit the floor you have an uncontrollable urge to stiffen your body, stretch your arms, yawn and perhaps even add a groan in there. THAT is PANDICULATION. So here is the weird part, well to me at least, it's a noun! I know, I am shining my geek side out there like a beacon. But really, it is a "thing" right? Have you ever thought of the act of stretching as a thing? Oh, I know. Add "tion" to the end of a lot of words and it changes from an action to a thing: elate ---> elation, and... well now my mind is in the gutter and I can only think of 2 more words. One word has to do with pooping and the other with spending some quality time with yourself. I won't share those.

Back to my point. Did you even know that there was a word for it? At some time, someone thought one word was needed for the entire act of "stretching and stiffening especially of the trunk and extremities" and created the term. Have you ever used the word? I think I am going to start, just because I can't believe it exists. When it makes a comeback in popularity, you'll know who to thank!

When I saw this ad, I knew I had to include it. An actual machine so people can pandiculate. "Better than 2 hours in the gymnasium" where can I get one of those?


http://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/pandiculation?show=0&t=1308747368

pan·dic·u·la·tion

noun \pan-ˌdik-yə-ˈlā-shən\
: a stretching and stiffening especially of the trunk and extremities (as when fatigued and drowsy or after waking from sleep) 
 
=J

No comments:

Post a Comment