Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Weird Word Wednesday: Parsimonious

 

PARSIMONIOUS adj \ˌpär-sə-ˈmō-nē-əs\



Normally, I see Wednesday as "Wordless Wednesday" but I have found that I am intrigued by so many words, that I have decided to make it a Weird Word Wednesday.

This week's word is: parsimonious  adj \ˌpär-sə-ˈmō-nē-əs\

I first heard it in college. A supervisor was teasing a VERY talkative girl about not being able to say anything in just a few words. Everything was a long detailed story. The supervisor asked her if she could be parsimonious this time.

What's worse than throwing out a word that you are pretty sure that no one knows what it means? Giving the WRONG definition when they ask you what it means.

From this encounter, I have always thought that the meaning of parsimonious is "short and to the point" or not wordy. I found irony in thinking that such a long word meant use less words. HOWEVER, upon looking it up to share with you, I have found the REAL meaning of the word. I feel like a bit of a dope throwing the word out in conversation and then giving an incorrect definition. Oh well, they probably already thought I was a dope for trying to use big words that no one ever uses.

=J

( http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/parsimonious )

Definition of PARSIMONIOUS

1: exhibiting or marked by parsimony; especially : frugal to the point of stinginess
par·si·mo·ni·ous·ly adverb

No comments:

Post a Comment