Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Weird Word Wednesday: Scarp

 

This is an example of a scarp that we saw in the U.P. of Michigan. It was absolutely beautiful, and at the time, I didn't know that there was a name for it. Now we know!

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/scarp?show=0&t=1314191020 

scarp

noun \ˈskärp\

Definition of SCARP

1: the inner side of a ditch below the parapet of a fortification
2a : a line of cliffs produced by faulting or erosion — see fault illustration  
b : a low steep slope along a beach caused by wave erosion

3 comments:

  1. Venti- I went to college in the UP!!!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!
    Just learned a new word!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Over40productqueen - You are so lucky to have gone to school in such a beautiful area! My college was surrounded by corn fields and smelled like cow poop on fertilizer days! lol

    Essential Mama Baby - We saw so many beautiful things up there. I can't tell you how many times I thought, "this can't be real. Nothing REALLY looks like this. It's like something out of a movie."

    ReplyDelete